Friday, May 8, 2009

My Burning Question For You

One of the most helpful ideas I got from Julia Galloway's workshop (previous post) is that the point of making art is to explore and celebrate. This might have been a notion I vaguely understood in the back of my head, but thinking about what I learned from the workshop really crystallized it for me.

So I have been trying to organize my own work and process within this idea: what do I want to explore and celebrate through the making of pottery? What am I already exploring?

Maggie Dog Pillows
I think one theme I have definitely been trying to understand in my work is that of Comfort.

My years at art school majoring in industrial design compels me to gather data from the world outside my head. I mean, I have ideas of what comfort is, but maybe I really have no idea what comfort is. So I am going to ask everyone out there to explain comfort. Please leave a comment below or send me a message here. Tell me one word, or five words, or an anecdote, or send me an image that describes comfort for you.
I think Maggie here has figured out what comfort is!

1 comment:

Bill said...

lately I think comfort in an artistic process is to be avoided. Comfort breeds complacency. Stay hungry stay foolish. Not always the case - but often bands get money / comfort and start to make bad, irrelevant records