Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Octomug

Octopus MugMy friend Rachel commissioned me to make an octopus-themed mug for her husband's Father's Day gift (Happy Father's Day, Eric!). Though I probably would never have thought to make anything like this on my own, I am quite happy with how it turned out, and discovered fascinating facts about octopuses in the process.

For example, an octopus has no skeleton so it can squeeze through a tiny opening, or even a skinny, hairpinny tube in order to get to some food at the other end. An octopus can figure out how to unscrew a jar in order to get to a crab sealed inside. Check out this You Tube video:





There was a large aquarium where dogfish shark carcasses kept appearing at the bottom of the tank, and when they put cameras in to figure out what was going on, they discovered that a giant pacific octopus was doing them in.

On the other hand, even though octopuses can be very strong and very fast, they run out of energy quickly because of their poor circulation.

I also found a cool octopus jewelry shop on Etsy at Octopusme.etsy.com

Octopus Mug Detail




The suction cups are fun to touch and I think I will try adding little bumpers like these to some other mugs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How could I go about purchasing an octomug? I love it.

suncreekllc at gmail dot com