Friday, June 20, 2008

Tool-torial

I want to test a lot of glazes over the next few months, which means I'll be making many very small batches that still have to be well mixed and sieved. I have been wanting to make myself this tool that I saw in the Sept/Oct 2007 issue of Pottery Making Illustrated mentioned by Jonathan Kaplan. It's just a toothbrush that's bent so it can get into a small sieve. Simple and ingenious.



Materials:


toothbrush

(I picked the largest, most-evenly bristled kind.)







heat gun

(I believe you could also use a hairdryer)







pair of pliers

(if you're a tough guy, just use your fingers)




Procedure:


Point your hairdryer or heat gun at the neck of the toothbrush for about 30 sec. - 2 min. depending on the intensity of your particular appliance.






When the plastic is slightly softened, grab the head of the toothbrush with the pliers to bend it backwards to a 90-degree angle.








What a lovely neck. Notice that some of the brush bristles were singed, so, I could've been more careful with that heat gun.












See how easy it will be to sieve small batches of glaze now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey that's a good idea